Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Weekly Homework for December 5-9

Dear 5th Graders and Families,
We hope to see many of you on Tuesday for our Barnes & Nobel Night at Southlands. It is sure to be a wonderful time with our Pine Ridge community! This week is also the Holiday Shop, so please be prepared to shop on your class’s assigned day. Be on the look-out for more information coming home soon about our winter party on the last day of school. We look forward to a week full of fun and learning.
All homework is due on Friday so be sure to budget your time accordingly. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great week! J

Vocabulary:  On the back of this page are words that come from the other subjects we are currently studying. You need to know the definition, the part of speech, and how to use it correctly in a sentence. You will have a vocabulary test on all 10 words on Friday. The format of the test will vary each week.
Word Work/Spelling: This week we will focus on analogies and the suffix –er in Unit 9. Please read the Family Letter and complete the Take-Home Task together to familiarize yourself with the concepts. We will also discuss homographs (words that have more than one meaning and pronunciation, i.e. “present.”) Be sure to look for these words in your reading and writing this week.


Reading:  Read a novel of your choice each night for 20 minutes to become a better reader. In class we will work on making connections (text-text; text-self; text-world) in our Daybook text. We will also work on novels and leveled readers to improve comprehension skills.
Social Studies: Complete the weekly geography worksheet, questions 56-60. Use the provided maps and other resources such as an atlas, globe, or internet websites. Be sure to answer ALL parts of each question! There will be a geography quiz before the winter break. Your teacher will let you know when this will be.
Writing:  We will continue our informative essay unit. Homework will be determined by your child’s teacher each night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the Buffalo Trail community and especially the wonderful 5th grade team. This is my 2nd year at BTE and my 12th year of teaching. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades in Kentucky and Colorado. Before moving to Denver three years ago, I lived in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. I earned a BS from the University of Kentucky and my MAT from the University of Louisville. In 2007, I became a National Board Certified Teacher with an emphasis in Early/Middle Childhood Reading and Language Arts. In my free time, I love to read, ride my bike, try new restaurants, and go to concerts/sports events. I love cheering my teams on during basketball season, hiking, and skiing. I am loving Colorful Colorado and look forward to our new adventures together!