Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Weekly Homework May 14-18

Dear 5th Graders and Families,
Lots of important and exciting events are coming in the next few weeks, so be sure to mark your calendars!
·         Graduation pictures will be taken on Tuesday, May 15 here at school.
·         Math Day is Thursday, May 17. Please send in your $5 for lunch ASAP.
·         Thursday night is the 5th grade art/music celebration at PRE from 6-7:30 p.m.
·         Money ($22) for the Museum of Nature and Science is due on Friday, May 18.
·         DARE graduation is Tuesday, May 22.
·         Field Day is Friday, May 25.
Be sure to budget your time accordingly and make time for your priorities. Do not procrastinate! Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great week! J

Vocabulary: We will not have vocabulary words /test this week. The vocabulary practice packet is due on Friday.
Reading:  Please read each night for 20 minutes at home this week. Read the May 4 issue of Weekly Reader News. Complete the questions on the back.  This is due Friday.

Writing: We will explore different types of poetry and practice writing our own poems.
Social Studies: We will have an open notes test on Unit 11 this week on arguments for and against independence. We will also stage our own role play/panel debate to reenact Loyalist and Patriot viewpoints. Then we will begin Unit 12 to understand the main ideas of the Declaration of Independence.
Science: We will continue Investigation 3 in the Water Planet Unit. The experiments will center on exploring heat convection, air pressure, and wind. The Test for Investigation 3 will be this week. A study guide will be sent home and posted on the blog.
Math (Ms. Reese’s class only): This week we will “double-up” on math in order to prepare students for the 6th grade curriculum. We will focus on algebraic expressions in Unit 10 and will have a test this week. We will have Friday Fun Math Morning from 8:18-9:00 this week. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the Buffalo Trail community and especially the wonderful 5th grade team. This is my 2nd year at BTE and my 12th year of teaching. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades in Kentucky and Colorado. Before moving to Denver three years ago, I lived in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. I earned a BS from the University of Kentucky and my MAT from the University of Louisville. In 2007, I became a National Board Certified Teacher with an emphasis in Early/Middle Childhood Reading and Language Arts. In my free time, I love to read, ride my bike, try new restaurants, and go to concerts/sports events. I love cheering my teams on during basketball season, hiking, and skiing. I am loving Colorful Colorado and look forward to our new adventures together!