Thursday, September 15, 2011

Science Test Tomorrow

All science information is reviewed thoroughly in class. This study guide will help you to do well tomorrow on the vascular plants test.
 ·         Know how to read a table and interpret data like in our celery experiment
·         Understand that the control vial of water lets us know how much water was lost due to evaporation.
·         Know that celery with leaves soaks up more water than celery without leaves.
·         Be able to ask questions and make a hypothesis about an experiment regarding celery with and without leaves.
·         Be able to compare and contrast the circulatory systems in animals and plants: Both systems transport food and water to cells. However, in animals blood is transported around and around the body. In a plant, there are 2 one way systems that transport water and food. Xylem transports water and minerals up, and the phloem transports sugar down and to all the cells in the plant.
·         Be able to label pinnate, palmate, and parallel leaf veins. If a plant has the same veins, the same shape, and the same leaf margins then it could have come from the same plant.
·         Leaves that come from the same plant have to have the same type of veins AND leaf margins.
·         Be able to describe how water in the ground travels to the leaves in the top of a tree: Water enters the tree through the roots. The water flows up the roots and tree in the xylem tubes. The xylem tubes carry the water all the way to the leaves at the top of the tree. Excess water is evaporated.
·         When we used red dye in the celery experiment then cut it, it showed a cross section of xylem tubes. The xylem tubes were dyed red to show how the stalk took up water. The xylem tubes transport water through the stalk to the leaves.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,this is Rina. Thanks for the science information! I can just read it while I'm eating my breakfast instead of running over to my backpack and getting it. This has been an awesome year so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rina! That is so cool! I'm glad you are studying for your science test. I know you will do amazing on it! I'm so happy you are having a great year. I am too. :) Have a wonderful weekend! Ms. Reese

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the Buffalo Trail community and especially the wonderful 5th grade team. This is my 2nd year at BTE and my 12th year of teaching. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades in Kentucky and Colorado. Before moving to Denver three years ago, I lived in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. I earned a BS from the University of Kentucky and my MAT from the University of Louisville. In 2007, I became a National Board Certified Teacher with an emphasis in Early/Middle Childhood Reading and Language Arts. In my free time, I love to read, ride my bike, try new restaurants, and go to concerts/sports events. I love cheering my teams on during basketball season, hiking, and skiing. I am loving Colorful Colorado and look forward to our new adventures together!