Monday, September 12, 2011

Weekly Homework for September 12-16

5th Grade Weekly Homework-Due Friday, September 16, 2011
Dear 5th Graders and Families,
Below you will find your homework the week. Everything is due on Friday so be sure to budget your time accordingly. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great week! J

Vocabulary: On the back of this page are words that come from the other subjects we are currently studying. You need to know the definition, the part of speech, and how to use it correctly in a sentence. You will have a vocabulary test on all 10 words on Friday. The format of the test will vary each week.
Word Work/Spelling: Each night you will need to study your spelling words for homework. Spelling tests will be on Fridays. Read the attached letter carefully to discover the 10 spelling words this week and understand the concepts we will be teaching in class. 

Reading: In order to become a better reader, you must read! Each night you should read a book of your choice for at least 20 minutes. Complete the attached activity worksheet based on the one book you are reading this week. Be sure to explain your reasoning with examples from the text.
Social Studies: Use the given maps as well as other reference materials (internet, globes, atlas, etc.) to complete Week 4 (questions 16-20) Geography Questions, due Friday, in a similar manner. There will be a quiz this Friday on the first 4 weeks’ questions.
Writing:  In order to become a better writer, you must write! Here are 2 prompts that we want you to write about in your notebook this week. There are no rules, just write! Remember to underline any words you are unsure of how to spell.
Ø  Create a DOUBLE BUBBLE Map to compare and contrast 2 characters in a story you are reading. Be sure to describe how they are alike and different. Then turn your prewriting into a paragraph that is as descriptive as possible. Be sure to begin with an engaging lead/grabber that will make the reader want to continue reading the rest of the story.

Ø  Explore your surroundings and nature. Go on a walk and choose 2 objects (leaves, flowers, rock, etc.) Create a DOUBLE BUBBLE Map to compare and contrast the 2 objects. Be sure to describe how they are alike and different. Then turn your prewriting into a paragraph that is as descriptive as possible. Be sure to begin with an engaging lead/grabber that will make the reader want to continue reading the rest of the story. Have fun!

Ø  BONUS: Draw pictures of the two characters and your two objects in your notebook. Sketching and drawing helps you to see more details and be more descriptive in your writing.

5 comments:

  1. This is dua Mrs.Reese and I hope I will get a good grade om my active reader report, geography, vocb.+spelling test

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always give your best effort, so I know you will do well. Keep up the awesome work, Dua!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms, Reese is it possible that u can post information when the kids are going to have a Science test? Also when are you going to start posting the grades on PowerSchool?
    Are you going to be offering tutoring anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading the blog! I just updated it with science information for the test tomorrow. We go over it very thoroughly in class as well. Grades will begin being posted this weekend. Let me know if you are having any trouble logging in. As far as turoring, we are doing MAPS testing this week so I will look at the data and make groups soon. Permission slips will go out to students who are need. Please call or email me if you want to discuss your child's needs in more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ms.Reese on the reading homework assignment On the five letter words I can't find any words I DON'T know I only got ONE of the words filled in oh yeah and this was a comment from Ashley.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the Buffalo Trail community and especially the wonderful 5th grade team. This is my 2nd year at BTE and my 12th year of teaching. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades in Kentucky and Colorado. Before moving to Denver three years ago, I lived in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. I earned a BS from the University of Kentucky and my MAT from the University of Louisville. In 2007, I became a National Board Certified Teacher with an emphasis in Early/Middle Childhood Reading and Language Arts. In my free time, I love to read, ride my bike, try new restaurants, and go to concerts/sports events. I love cheering my teams on during basketball season, hiking, and skiing. I am loving Colorful Colorado and look forward to our new adventures together!