Thursday, February 23, 2012

Science Post Test Next Wednesday 2/29

Mixtures and Solutions Post Test Review

·         When a solid disappears in a mixture and the mixture is clear, this is evidence that the solid and water have made a solution.
·         When two solutions are saturated they have the same concentration.
·         1 mL=1g so if a spoon of solid has a mass of 2 g and there are 3 spoonfuls of solid in the mixture and 100 mL of water, the total mass would be 3X2=6g + 100mL (100g)=106g
·         You can separate the dissolved solid from water through evaporation. The water evaporates into the air and the solid left in the dish will form crystals.
·         If three spoonfuls of solid do not saturate a liquid then 2 spoonfuls of solid would dissolve in the liquid as well. There would be nothing on the bottom of the cup.
·         Solubility cannot be changed by stirring more.
·         On a balance, the cup that has the most mass is the most concentrated. This is because when equal volumes of two solutions made with the same materials are compared, the one that is more concentrated will have the greater mass (weigh more).
·         When a new material forms after two or more materials are mixed, a chemical reaction has occurred.
·         Be able to design an experiment to find out if temperature affects the number of grams of salt it takes to saturate 50mL of water.
1. set up 3 cups of 50mL of water: 1 hot, 1 cold, 1 room temperature
2. add spoons of salt to each cup and stir until no more salt will dissolve
3. filter the undissolved salt from each of the solutions
4. weigh the cups against each other or find the mass of the 3 solutions in grams
·         Crystals of different materials have different shapes. The crystal shape can help you identify the solid material used to make the solutuion.
·         A chemical reaction is evidenced by a gas being produced and/or a precipitate forming.
·         Rust forming on a bike or a candle burning are 2 examples of chemical reactions.
·         A saturated solution will have particles undissolved on the bottom of the cup and evenly dispersed particles throughout the solution.
·         Be able to identify the most concentrated solution. Concentration is a comparison of the amount of solute to the amount of water (solvent). Think about how much solute is dissolved in each 50 mL of water and compare the ratios.

8 comments:

  1. Ms.Reese I'm glad that you put the handy links box there because i can also go on the Foss Science: Mixtures and Solutions! Twice times the studying! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cant wait till the test on wednesday i think i'll do pretty godd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ms. Reese! i feel totally fine but I have pink eye. Yucky! i was wondering since i was looking at the blog for homework, do we have math homework? Do we have literacy homework? Don't worry, I'm already reading my book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am ready for the Science test! That's because I prioritized my time and studied every day and now I am ready for the test! I hope I do well on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are there fish at the bottom of the blog?

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the Buffalo Trail community and especially the wonderful 5th grade team. This is my 2nd year at BTE and my 12th year of teaching. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades in Kentucky and Colorado. Before moving to Denver three years ago, I lived in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. I earned a BS from the University of Kentucky and my MAT from the University of Louisville. In 2007, I became a National Board Certified Teacher with an emphasis in Early/Middle Childhood Reading and Language Arts. In my free time, I love to read, ride my bike, try new restaurants, and go to concerts/sports events. I love cheering my teams on during basketball season, hiking, and skiing. I am loving Colorful Colorado and look forward to our new adventures together!