Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekly Homework for April 9-13

Dear 5th Graders and Families,
We hope everyone had a wonderful spring break. Hopefully, you are relaxed, rejuvenated, and ready to SPRING into the swing of school!
IMPORTANT REMINDER: We will be touring Fox Ridge Middle School on Wednesday. Please be on time to school as the buses will be leaving promptly at 9 a.m. We would like to proudly represent Pine Ridge by wearing our green 5th grade t-shirts on Wednesday. It will be an exciting day for sure!
All homework is due on Friday so be sure to budget your time accordingly. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great week! J

Vocabulary:  On the back of this page are words that come from the other subjects we are currently studying. You need to know the definition, the part of speech, and how to use it correctly in a sentence. You will have a vocabulary test on all 10 words on Friday. The format of the test will vary each week.
·         Vocabulary activities (in class assignments) will be due on Thursday morning.
Word Work/Spelling: This week we will focus on learning to spell and use words that make comparisons. We will learn about positive, comparative, and superlative adjectives in Unit 18. Please read the Family Letter and complete the Take-Home Task together to familiarize yourself with the concepts. Be sure to look for these words in your reading and writing this week.  
·         Family Letter is due Tuesday
·         Spelling activities (in class assignments) due in literacy notebook on Thursday morning
·         Spelling Test on Friday

Reading: We will complete Unit 3 in our Daybook text. The test will be on Friday. We will also begin reading a new novel in small groups. Be on the lookout for a new project next week to go along with your novel.
·         Read the March 9 issue of Weekly Reader News. Complete the questions on the back. It is due next Monday.

Social Studies: Complete the weekly geography worksheet, questions 101-105. Use the provided maps and other resources such as an atlas, globe, or internet websites. Be sure to answer ALL parts of each question!
We will wrap up unit 8 on slavery in our History Alive text and continue on to Unit 9, which discusses the key parts of colonial life for Southern colonists in the 1700s.
Science: We will continue investigation #2 “Water Vapor” in the Water Planet Unit. We will wrap-up evaporation and move on to condensation.
Math (Ms. Reese’s class only): We will continue Unit 12 on probability and data. The test will be on Friday. Be sure to attend Friday Fun Math Morning if you would like some extra practice before the test. I will be offering help from 8:15-9:00 a.m. on Fridays. Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

  1. I am having trouble with the unit 18 activities. I have suffixes for 6, 3, 5, 8,9,and 4 (number,____teen, ____ty). I'm not sure what other examples I can use. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about rule breakers like one and two...

      Delete
  2. Hi Ms. Reese!
    I have a question...
    For our second activity in the unit 18 things, do you want us to do 10 words for "ant" and 10 words for "ance"? Or do you just want it to be 10 words all together? I was just doing the activity and was wondering about it.
    Thanks.....
    Ritika!!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to the 2013-2014 school year! I am so happy and grateful to be a part of the Buffalo Trail community and especially the wonderful 5th grade team. This is my 2nd year at BTE and my 12th year of teaching. I have taught 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades in Kentucky and Colorado. Before moving to Denver three years ago, I lived in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio. I earned a BS from the University of Kentucky and my MAT from the University of Louisville. In 2007, I became a National Board Certified Teacher with an emphasis in Early/Middle Childhood Reading and Language Arts. In my free time, I love to read, ride my bike, try new restaurants, and go to concerts/sports events. I love cheering my teams on during basketball season, hiking, and skiing. I am loving Colorful Colorado and look forward to our new adventures together!